This message was originally posted on Facebook.
Hi everyone! I've decided to delete my Facebook for reasons. Here are some of them:
1) I consistently close Facebook feeling worse than I did upon opening Facebook.
2) This might, in part, be due to the fact that I rarely use Facebook to actually converse meaningfully with people. When I really want to talk to someone, I text them, or call them, or skype them, or visit them. There are so many ways to converse with close friends that don't involve getting distracted by an increasingly upsetting news feed.
3) The news feed isn't just upsetting because depressing news is often shared there (although that IS part of it--I mean how does it serve me making a positive impact in the world when the information I consume is so overwhelmingly negative it makes meaningful, deliberate, truthful action seem pointless?). It's upsetting because it has increasingly become a platform for airing political views that hardly anyone other than those who already agree with the poster appreciate or learn from.
4) Every time I've jumped into the fray and posted something vaguely political on Facebook, I've regretted it. I don't think my Facebook posts or comments have changed anyone's mind. And that makes sense. Changing someone's mind usually involves a pre-existing degree of trust between two parties. Why would you assume the best of someone you're only friends with on Facebook when it serves your bias to believe they're wrong?
5) Finally, I'm getting off of Facebook because I have better things to do with my time. My new phone update provides this "screen time" feature that tells me how much time I've spent looking at my screen (duh)...and it's terrifying. It's hard to imagine how much happier and more productive I would be if I cut out a large chunk of screen-time, not to mention how much better informed and equipped I would be to make meaningful positive change within the sphere of my life and others lives that I can actually control.
6) Also it's sad that posting this message on the platform I've sworn to leave somehow makes it more "real". External validation can be a good thing, but I'm not about being RELIANT on it.
Well, that about sums it up: that's why I'm deleting my Facebook! I'll keep my profile active on here for a few days in case anyone wants to message me and ask for my number or something. Idk lol. I'll still leave my Self Help Comic page up, so if anyone really needs to get in touch with me and has no other way, you can always do it through there. Okay, cool! Bye!